Book Review ~ “Norwegian Wood”
let me be very clear.
Haruki Murakami novels are my ultimate bias. I’d buy every single book he writes if only they weren’t so expensive. And yet I do still have a collection anyway.
So Norwegian Wood was my first Murakami novel. It was lent to me by my classmate Bryan in our fourth year of high school.
let me be very clear.
This book isn’t exactly meant for 16 year olds.
It is depressing
It has adult themes
It takes a part of you.
And it gives you another part in return. That’s how I go into this book.
I remember reading and feeling so down and dejected.
I remember being profoundly interjected with his integration of pretty mature topics.
I remember falling in love with his prose and description of the world.
So about the book. It’s a love story that’s based on reality. (Murakami being famous for his surrealistic works). In the story, the main character pines for the love of another. Is it a responsibility in the end? Or was there something that he could’ve done otherwise?
Murakami writes best.
There’s a big twist that slaps you pretty hard along the way. Not spoiling anything though.
In the end, it’s still quite open to interpretation. I personally liked it. It does give the main character a form of hope, a sign of moving on. Even after all that had happened before, this is still a very beautiful story.
Definitely a 10/10 recommendation.
But it’s my bias after all so take it with a pinch of salt.
Quick shoutout to Bryan all the way in the States now. Thanks for keeping the fine line at that point of lending this fish your book.
Haruki Murakami novels are my ultimate bias. I’d buy every single book he writes if only they weren’t so expensive. And yet I do still have a collection anyway.
So Norwegian Wood was my first Murakami novel. It was lent to me by my classmate Bryan in our fourth year of high school.
let me be very clear.
This book isn’t exactly meant for 16 year olds.
It is depressing
It has adult themes
It takes a part of you.
And it gives you another part in return. That’s how I go into this book.
I remember reading and feeling so down and dejected.
I remember being profoundly interjected with his integration of pretty mature topics.
I remember falling in love with his prose and description of the world.
So about the book. It’s a love story that’s based on reality. (Murakami being famous for his surrealistic works). In the story, the main character pines for the love of another. Is it a responsibility in the end? Or was there something that he could’ve done otherwise?
Murakami writes best.
There’s a big twist that slaps you pretty hard along the way. Not spoiling anything though.
In the end, it’s still quite open to interpretation. I personally liked it. It does give the main character a form of hope, a sign of moving on. Even after all that had happened before, this is still a very beautiful story.
Definitely a 10/10 recommendation.
But it’s my bias after all so take it with a pinch of salt.
Quick shoutout to Bryan all the way in the States now. Thanks for keeping the fine line at that point of lending this fish your book.
Comments
Post a Comment