Short stories. World where the rainbows are
Short Story - World where the rainbows are
It was the Tuesday after New Years. Had been around to meet my friends Oliver and Jamie. It was a yearly routine to see them, talk for a bit about the year, and just promise to see each other again soon.
Next year, we'll see, I promise.
It seemed like the baked potatoes were disagreeable and had me feeling caught in throat all night until the next morning. Turning the tap off after a cup and a half of water doing nothing, I went along with it all day at work. It didn't go off after having my sandwich for breakfast and didn't go off when I at my pasta for lunch.
maybe I should go see a doctor, I look at the clock. I look at the pile of work on my desk. it'll go away in a while I guess.
After work, I got a cup of warm coffee with too little sugar and sat at the bench at the park. I used to do this often. Watching people as they go passing by with their lives. A whole existence that came into my orbit for a brief moment that we shared. I saluted their struggles as I did with mine. Sipping the bitter coffee, I looked up at the sky where I didn't have to think about other people and their lives.
The new year had brought its fair share of changes. Some obvious, like the calendar, while some were not so obvious, like the fact that I'm no longer 27. Moving on to 28 seemed like such a big jump from 26 to 27. I liked it when I was 26, where I could still look at my life with a certain enthusiasm. Living in 27 was like the feeling things were reaching critical mass, and after this it would be a victory parade lap. Round and round the lap you go until the car breaks down and you drop out from the race of life. You look up and you see all the people now whizzing in brand new cars, so different from what you did, and think if that was all just some washed up sand on the beach.
Perhaps one day we'll find that rainbow connection, the muppets had sang. Wonder where the rainbow I saw in the sky connected to? A pot of gold if you were in Ireland. Probably the factory making Skittles anywhere else.
So where does this rainbow lead to for me? What was it connection that I was supposed to connecting to? Thinking about it, rainbows were always these magical, wonderful things. For them to exist in our world, how blessed are we to be honest. Imagine a world where there are no rainbows to look up and see when you were not expecting one. Some people thank the unicorns, some people thank the leprechauns, some people thank the water refractions. Does not matter. We all thank something for the rainbows in our life, or at least I hope you do.
At 21 I had already thought out what my life was going to be like at 28. Probably in a stable relationship at this point, maybe looking at marriage. Marriage seemed to be right at the age of 28 then. It still was, but there probably is no marriage needed when you're in a relationship with yourself.
So that connection was not the one. Maybe this rainbow was a dot in a line from those connect-the-dots exercises.
It could be the rainbow leading me to have a breakthrough in my life. This is our year, it seemed to say. You might think people say the best time to start is now, but no, nuh uh, nope, bongo to your bingo. It's actually yesterday. Bingo. Now is probably the second best choice you have.
Right, I still have my coffee. I drain the cup.
So rainbow, where do you go? What's this connection you want me to find?
I threw the coffee cup in the bin as I left the park.
The walk back to the place I lived came talking to me in so many ways. All of them were offering their help to connect the rainbows for me. Some even tried to show me what they had seen where the rainbows come from. Finding the rainbow connection is a process, they'd say. Maybe. The memories of rainbows past, unconnected, left alone, and finally forgotten.
Looking at the rainbow up in the sky already making a connection in my life, I realised something.
The thing feeling of something stuck in my throat?
It was just the helplessness in connecting my future. Thanks rainbow, I found the connection.
(6/100)
It was the Tuesday after New Years. Had been around to meet my friends Oliver and Jamie. It was a yearly routine to see them, talk for a bit about the year, and just promise to see each other again soon.
Next year, we'll see, I promise.
It seemed like the baked potatoes were disagreeable and had me feeling caught in throat all night until the next morning. Turning the tap off after a cup and a half of water doing nothing, I went along with it all day at work. It didn't go off after having my sandwich for breakfast and didn't go off when I at my pasta for lunch.
maybe I should go see a doctor, I look at the clock. I look at the pile of work on my desk. it'll go away in a while I guess.
After work, I got a cup of warm coffee with too little sugar and sat at the bench at the park. I used to do this often. Watching people as they go passing by with their lives. A whole existence that came into my orbit for a brief moment that we shared. I saluted their struggles as I did with mine. Sipping the bitter coffee, I looked up at the sky where I didn't have to think about other people and their lives.
The new year had brought its fair share of changes. Some obvious, like the calendar, while some were not so obvious, like the fact that I'm no longer 27. Moving on to 28 seemed like such a big jump from 26 to 27. I liked it when I was 26, where I could still look at my life with a certain enthusiasm. Living in 27 was like the feeling things were reaching critical mass, and after this it would be a victory parade lap. Round and round the lap you go until the car breaks down and you drop out from the race of life. You look up and you see all the people now whizzing in brand new cars, so different from what you did, and think if that was all just some washed up sand on the beach.
Perhaps one day we'll find that rainbow connection, the muppets had sang. Wonder where the rainbow I saw in the sky connected to? A pot of gold if you were in Ireland. Probably the factory making Skittles anywhere else.
So where does this rainbow lead to for me? What was it connection that I was supposed to connecting to? Thinking about it, rainbows were always these magical, wonderful things. For them to exist in our world, how blessed are we to be honest. Imagine a world where there are no rainbows to look up and see when you were not expecting one. Some people thank the unicorns, some people thank the leprechauns, some people thank the water refractions. Does not matter. We all thank something for the rainbows in our life, or at least I hope you do.
At 21 I had already thought out what my life was going to be like at 28. Probably in a stable relationship at this point, maybe looking at marriage. Marriage seemed to be right at the age of 28 then. It still was, but there probably is no marriage needed when you're in a relationship with yourself.
So that connection was not the one. Maybe this rainbow was a dot in a line from those connect-the-dots exercises.
It could be the rainbow leading me to have a breakthrough in my life. This is our year, it seemed to say. You might think people say the best time to start is now, but no, nuh uh, nope, bongo to your bingo. It's actually yesterday. Bingo. Now is probably the second best choice you have.
Right, I still have my coffee. I drain the cup.
So rainbow, where do you go? What's this connection you want me to find?
I threw the coffee cup in the bin as I left the park.
The walk back to the place I lived came talking to me in so many ways. All of them were offering their help to connect the rainbows for me. Some even tried to show me what they had seen where the rainbows come from. Finding the rainbow connection is a process, they'd say. Maybe. The memories of rainbows past, unconnected, left alone, and finally forgotten.
Looking at the rainbow up in the sky already making a connection in my life, I realised something.
The thing feeling of something stuck in my throat?
It was just the helplessness in connecting my future. Thanks rainbow, I found the connection.
(6/100)
Comments
Post a Comment