Midnight Moments: 1.Shoes
“I run and I run and I run and I run …” - IU, New Shoes (Chat-Shire)
I grew up with faint memories of going to the shoe shop with my mother. She would put me on the seat while she tried on various shoes. She never bought them often, but I suppose she did find her happiness in that process. Now that I’m all grown up and buying my own shoes, I suppose there are things that I realise now more than before. One thing is about how I buy my own shoes.
I never did bother with the price of shoes as I seldom bought them. So what I would do was go to a few select shops in the mall and look at what was available, then deciding on one. Sometimes I just needed to go to one store, while sometimes I would have to go for a few rounds before reaching a final decision.
One evening, I found that my pair of shoes that I wore to work were wearing out. It came after I nearly slipped at the toilet at the place I was having dinner. My girlfriend laughed when I told her what had happened. “Well, I guess it's time to buy some new ones. Lucky it’s Sunday tomorrow. ” She knew how I chose my shoes, so she usually accompanies me and goes shopping at other places instead. Surprisingly, that’s what happened as usual over the weekend. We had just walked into the mall and she turned around to say she’ll see me in an hour’s time.
“See you.” I said to her diminishing figure.
The first store I went to was kind of my favourite. Well, the current favourite. However, there weren’t any that caught my imagination well enough. I went up another floor where another shoe shop was directly located right off exiting of the escalator.
The friendly staff approaches me as soon as I walk in. “Is there anything I can help you with?”
I gave a polite nod and told them I would just be looking around. Taking a look, I found one that I decided on. I asked the staff over, “Can I get this UK size 11½?” They took the pair of shoes and went to the storeroom, emerging later with a box labelled UK size 11½. Great.
After buying the shoes, I looked at the time and realised I still had another 43 minutes to go. Add on 20 minutes for good measure and I’m left with the same amount of time as I started with. In the end, I went down to the supermarket and bought some groceries. I bought a few bags of chips, some ketchup, milk, and a bag of salt. Carrying all my purchases, I made my way towards the coffee shop near the entrance of the mall. I had a cup of their house blend tea, which I assumed was just some tea bag they bought from the supermarket anyway.
Sipping my tea, I realised something. My shoes were missing. Not the ones I were wearing but the ones I just bought.
Must’ve been in the supermarket, I think.I quickly scald my tongue with the remaining hot tea and rush down to find my lost shoes.
Immediately went to the customer service counter and enquired if anyone had found it and there it was. Luckily someone had found it. “Today’s your lucky day. The person who found it is actually sitting right there. Why don’t you go over and say your thanks to her instead?” The customer service attendant pointed to a man sitting on a bench outside the supermarket.
And so I did.
I grew up with faint memories of going to the shoe shop with my mother. She would put me on the seat while she tried on various shoes. She never bought them often, but I suppose she did find her happiness in that process. Now that I’m all grown up and buying my own shoes, I suppose there are things that I realise now more than before. One thing is about how I buy my own shoes.
I never did bother with the price of shoes as I seldom bought them. So what I would do was go to a few select shops in the mall and look at what was available, then deciding on one. Sometimes I just needed to go to one store, while sometimes I would have to go for a few rounds before reaching a final decision.
One evening, I found that my pair of shoes that I wore to work were wearing out. It came after I nearly slipped at the toilet at the place I was having dinner. My girlfriend laughed when I told her what had happened. “Well, I guess it's time to buy some new ones. Lucky it’s Sunday tomorrow. ” She knew how I chose my shoes, so she usually accompanies me and goes shopping at other places instead. Surprisingly, that’s what happened as usual over the weekend. We had just walked into the mall and she turned around to say she’ll see me in an hour’s time.
“See you.” I said to her diminishing figure.
The first store I went to was kind of my favourite. Well, the current favourite. However, there weren’t any that caught my imagination well enough. I went up another floor where another shoe shop was directly located right off exiting of the escalator.
The friendly staff approaches me as soon as I walk in. “Is there anything I can help you with?”
I gave a polite nod and told them I would just be looking around. Taking a look, I found one that I decided on. I asked the staff over, “Can I get this UK size 11½?” They took the pair of shoes and went to the storeroom, emerging later with a box labelled UK size 11½. Great.
After buying the shoes, I looked at the time and realised I still had another 43 minutes to go. Add on 20 minutes for good measure and I’m left with the same amount of time as I started with. In the end, I went down to the supermarket and bought some groceries. I bought a few bags of chips, some ketchup, milk, and a bag of salt. Carrying all my purchases, I made my way towards the coffee shop near the entrance of the mall. I had a cup of their house blend tea, which I assumed was just some tea bag they bought from the supermarket anyway.
Sipping my tea, I realised something. My shoes were missing. Not the ones I were wearing but the ones I just bought.
Must’ve been in the supermarket, I think.I quickly scald my tongue with the remaining hot tea and rush down to find my lost shoes.
Immediately went to the customer service counter and enquired if anyone had found it and there it was. Luckily someone had found it. “Today’s your lucky day. The person who found it is actually sitting right there. Why don’t you go over and say your thanks to her instead?” The customer service attendant pointed to a man sitting on a bench outside the supermarket.
And so I did.
Comments
Post a Comment