Midnight Moments: 20.21.22 Miss.Home.String
There was a time that I left my home and country to travel for a year. During that time, I met lots of people, had lots of experiences, and also became a different person.
How traveling allows a person to know more about themselves when they immerse into completely opposite cultures kept me thinking. It was almost as if I could find the basis for myself upon all the things that I did not like or prefer. I call myself a person of quiet contemplation and words. Flip it over and I realise the life of hustles and bustles in a city don't appeal at all. However, I do also realise, in the crazy pace of the city, there are always places you could hide inside and weather the storm.
It was in one of these hiding holes that I looked out to the rainy landscape. I had wandered by chance or appreciation into this place. The music was soft, the people few, and the coffee cheap. Talking to a customer, the owner looked over to me from behind the cashier.
"So young man, what brings you here on this rainy day?" He walked over carrying a bowl of nuts. "Here. On the house."
I said my thanks. "We'll, I'm on a year long sabbatical from real life. Going back soon though."
"Ahh, the blessed times of youth. When I was your age, I did something the same too. That's how things are, aren't they. Well, you can call me Alario, or just Rio is fine."
"Well, that's how thing are." I said shaking his hand. "Call me M."
"You want to try this thing I learnt on my journey of self discovery?" The owner took out a long strand of string that was tied into a loop. "They call it the cat's cradle."
"So just how do you do that?"
"Don't blink or you'll miss it."
How traveling allows a person to know more about themselves when they immerse into completely opposite cultures kept me thinking. It was almost as if I could find the basis for myself upon all the things that I did not like or prefer. I call myself a person of quiet contemplation and words. Flip it over and I realise the life of hustles and bustles in a city don't appeal at all. However, I do also realise, in the crazy pace of the city, there are always places you could hide inside and weather the storm.
It was in one of these hiding holes that I looked out to the rainy landscape. I had wandered by chance or appreciation into this place. The music was soft, the people few, and the coffee cheap. Talking to a customer, the owner looked over to me from behind the cashier.
"So young man, what brings you here on this rainy day?" He walked over carrying a bowl of nuts. "Here. On the house."
I said my thanks. "We'll, I'm on a year long sabbatical from real life. Going back soon though."
"Ahh, the blessed times of youth. When I was your age, I did something the same too. That's how things are, aren't they. Well, you can call me Alario, or just Rio is fine."
"Well, that's how thing are." I said shaking his hand. "Call me M."
"You want to try this thing I learnt on my journey of self discovery?" The owner took out a long strand of string that was tied into a loop. "They call it the cat's cradle."
"So just how do you do that?"
"Don't blink or you'll miss it."
Comments
Post a Comment