Midnight Moments: 4.Calm

"How about we sit down and think this throughly, Penny?" my mother asked. I stared back at her as most confused, lost 20 year olds do when they're asked to sit down and think.

I had just told my mother I wanted to work as an editor in the city. I'd written in my application and they were going to take me as an errand girl in the office to show me the ropes. Or that's what I interpreted when they told me they would be hiring me but I'd have to do other jobs first.

"Look. I support you in whatever you choose. I just want to know if you made the choice wisely." She picked up her cup of tea and shifted it awkwardly around the table. "You know, I'm just worried that you have to go to the city and all."

"Mum, it's just one and a half hour drive away. I'll be back all the time you won't even miss me." I knew that she was really feeling the weight of my decision. The fact she was having tea to calm herself was all I needed to know.


Comments

Popular Posts