Midnight Moments: 6.7. Sleep and Slumber
I was sitting in the living room reading a book when my mother called for me. "Hey, stop lazing around and help me out here."
I walked into the kitchen to find her behind a bucket of potatoes, taking them out and peeling them one by one. Without further instructions, I sat down and got to work. Peeling potatoes wasn't one of my favourite tasks, but it sure beat cleaning the windows. We both peeled in silence as the gold yellow of these potatoes were all we focused on.
I was the one to break that focus. "So what are these potatoes for? That's an awfully large amount here."
"There's the fair coming up tomorrow and I'm helping out your uncle at his stall. You should bring Penny along."
I made a mental note to call her about it later.
When I did call her later, it was the morning of the fair. I had totally forgotten about asking her until my mother asked me if she was coming when she left the house.
"Theodore, for what reason are you waking me up at 8 am? I pray it's either brunch or that you're outside my door with brunch."
I've always admired her ability for wisecracking in any situation. She's really was on her A-game every day. "Well it's not brunch but there's food."
I heard her think whether to close the call or actually be interested in my proposal. "Keep talking." Phew, she went for the latter.
An hour and a half later, we were both walking down the street towards the Central Court. That was where the fair was held every year. It did take some coaxing but the fair popcorn just managed to get her out of bed. We took a walk around the fair and bought whatever that caught our fancy.
Back at her place, we made out and slowly ended up in the bedroom.
Lying together in bed, she asked, "Do you know what's the difference between sleep and slumber?"
"One is from Middle English while the other is rooted in Old English?"
She looked at me bemused, surprised that I hadn't gotten used to her trivia.
"You're right on that. However, slumber seems so much more comfortable. Like the word itself.You know."
I walked into the kitchen to find her behind a bucket of potatoes, taking them out and peeling them one by one. Without further instructions, I sat down and got to work. Peeling potatoes wasn't one of my favourite tasks, but it sure beat cleaning the windows. We both peeled in silence as the gold yellow of these potatoes were all we focused on.
I was the one to break that focus. "So what are these potatoes for? That's an awfully large amount here."
"There's the fair coming up tomorrow and I'm helping out your uncle at his stall. You should bring Penny along."
I made a mental note to call her about it later.
When I did call her later, it was the morning of the fair. I had totally forgotten about asking her until my mother asked me if she was coming when she left the house.
"Theodore, for what reason are you waking me up at 8 am? I pray it's either brunch or that you're outside my door with brunch."
I've always admired her ability for wisecracking in any situation. She's really was on her A-game every day. "Well it's not brunch but there's food."
I heard her think whether to close the call or actually be interested in my proposal. "Keep talking." Phew, she went for the latter.
An hour and a half later, we were both walking down the street towards the Central Court. That was where the fair was held every year. It did take some coaxing but the fair popcorn just managed to get her out of bed. We took a walk around the fair and bought whatever that caught our fancy.
Back at her place, we made out and slowly ended up in the bedroom.
Lying together in bed, she asked, "Do you know what's the difference between sleep and slumber?"
"One is from Middle English while the other is rooted in Old English?"
She looked at me bemused, surprised that I hadn't gotten used to her trivia.
"You're right on that. However, slumber seems so much more comfortable. Like the word itself.You know."
Comments
Post a Comment